Open source ping.pe

General chat & ping.pe support
songxwn

Unread post

I hope to open source ping.pe source code on GitHub, so that everyone can deploy this software and reduce the stress on servers.
eaton

Re: Open source ping.pe

Unread post

I really like ping.pe and use it several times a week to troubleshoot issues we encounter. It would be even better if it could be open sourced and include our global equipment.
myusername

Unread post

Hi any further word on open source or access to the code. Would love to deploy this.

Or if not, any chance that you could, on the mtr task, when you put in a name (instead of IP), make it so that EACH location resolves the name independently? That way it would be also a GREAT way to see if there are dns query issues globally for the auth DNS server for any particular name...

Thanks!
flappy
Site Admin

Unread post

Hi,

I do not plan on opensourcing this for the time being.

Regarding the DNS resolution, I was asked this before... It is like this by design,
resolution is performed only once and then sent off to remote endpoints. The reason for this is, some of the locations have filtered/restricted DNS, and we want to be able to ping/mtr to them still.

ping.pe has a separate dig.ping.pe service to actually perform resolution on endpoints for diagnostic purposes.

Ideally there would be a toggle to do all of it in one page - something I have been thinking about.
myusername

Unread post

Thanks for the reply. re: global DNS query diagnostics, I didn't even look at dig, had only used your mtr, so actually that's perfect for the purpose I was describing! (I was thinking the dig would only just give a single result and not from all locations, but since it does perform from all the locations, it fits the bill nicely)

Cheers, and thanks again for a fantastic tool!
flappy
Site Admin

Unread post

Glad dig works for your purpose. Thank you for the kind words!